Sunday, August 10, 2008

MTV MADE - Holly MADE Alex Mills into a Skateboarder



August 10, 2008 - So, I went to Ohio to teach a girl to skateboard. At least, that's what I thought. Little did I know I had a lot more in store. For all of you that has seen the show, thank you for all the messages you have sent me on myspace. Yes, the Mom was a bit much, and Alex cried a lot, but I still had a fun time and took a lot from the experience.

I was in rural Ohio for 5 weeks and she went to camp for a week. So, it was a total of 6 weeks I had to transform her into a skateboarder.

Obviously, she did not learn a lot on her skateboard, but I really do think she learned a lot about herself and her relationship with her Mom. She is not someone who is athletic but I still have never seen someone who resisted learning as much as she did. It was like she was doing the exact opposite of learning. She would shut down everyday, make an excuse up and then cry. I feel for her, it will not get her far in life or in achieving her goals with that mentality.

I feel like this was more of an experiment in human behavior, action and reaction, than it was in teaching a girl to ride a skateboard properly. I do think by the end of the 6 weeks Alex grew so much as a person. As someone that was thinking for herself, realizing she has a self, believing in herself, and learning to do what's best for her. Which are all traits to being a skateboarder.

So, I am proud of Alex and I am happy that I was there to have that experience with her, with Jill the producer/filmer, Jessica the other filmer and her Mom. I think whether her Mom knows it or not now, she will learn a lot from the experience we had together and hopefully can take the good from it.

here....here....Tipp CIty, Ohio.....Thank you!!


Here's a blurb about the episode. You can check it out on the Sk8Grl NEWS page too!
Pro Skateboarder Holly Lyons was sent from Sunny Southern California to rural Tipp City, OH teach a girl how to skateboard for MTV'S Made. Alex Mills is an academic, clumsy girl who had to stay home from school for a year due to allergies. She watched the Rob and Big show and dreamed of becoming a skateboard star. Little did she know, skateboarding was a lot more difficult that she thought. Not only physically, but mentally, and spiritually.

Check out MTV's Made on August 10, 2008 to see Alex Mills transform from being a Mama's girl who has her schedule laid out for her and little drive to do anything, to a living in the moment skate girl! She learns about believing in herself, having confidence, being independent, and doing what's right for her; which is what skateboarding is all about! Both girls rocked Sk8Grl tops and had lots of Sk8Grl stickers on their boards and helmets.

TV Schedule: http://www.mtv.com/ontv/schedule/?day=08%2F10%2F08&submit=Update